Monday, July 23, 2007

Rather be knitting a sock...

I'm back. Been trying to get some projects done around the house (finally) such as cleaning out and rearranging a few things (pronounced 'the whole house'). I did manage to pull my yarn out of the mesh file cart it was in and put it in the old 4 drawer dresser that had been out in the garage. Of course, I had to pull the dresser apart and clean it first! Although the dresser drawers are significantly wider and there are 4 instead of 2, I don't feel it holds that much more. In the file cart, I could stand my skeins on end and see many at once. The dresser drawers are too shallow so everything has to lay down. It takes up so much more space that way. I almost bought some plastic drawers when I was out but... why spend the money when I have something perfectly good at home?!?!? (I did get a pair of camera batteries though!) I still need to take care of mountains of laundry and pay some bills as well as filing more probate paperwork for my ex. Tomorrow is knitting night so I guess it will all have to wait till Wednesday.

The file cart is now my husband's but he has not started filling it yet since he read the entire HP7 by last night. He is also a huge Big Brother fan so he is usually hooked up to the computer reading the blogs and watching the live feeds. Someday...

I finished reading Stephanie Pearl-McPhee Casts Off (the Yarn Harlot) this weekend. I'm sure my husband is happy since every time I read her I end up laughing out loud and reading it to him. This is when we are supposed to be relaxing and going to sleep! I do love her style and perspective. I own both the Harlot and Casts Off and doubt I will part with them any time soon. Thank you Beth for telling me about them...

I recast on my Tofutsies sock (twice) and knit about 3" before trying it on. Gauge is good but my feet are just plain too big! Although I got it over my heel I'm thinking I need to frog it. Again. It was too tight/too much of a struggle to get on. Argh!
I have knit most of a troop hat as well as 2 itty bitty socks out of some left-over Sockatta in order to make a book mark (I think some call them book thongs when they have the long cord to go between the pages.) I have another I made a couple of years ago and it gets the most use of all the various bookmarks I own.

Update on Angel, the Mourning Dove: She's still hanging in there. She is amazing me. She is definitely not well but she still with us. Best as I can tell, she had a stroke. She has movement throughout her body but she is missing strength and coordination, especially on her left side. She had flopped onto her back a few times early on and we flipped her back. Then she got stuck on her side. She managed to push herself around the floor of the cage, on the gravel paper. She pretty well ground up the side of her face. I could not even tell where her eye was at one point. I took her out of that cage and have her in a basket that helps keep her upright and her eye is healing already. If I hold her, she can drink but she still has not eaten. It's been since Thursday! She does not want to give up. I made a couple of calls today and managed to find a vet that will see her tomorrow. Between being a bird (most vets only see dogs and cats) and then being wild on top of that, most will not even entertain the idea. 9:30 in the morning and $45 to walk through the door + whatever they decide to do from there. I realize they will probably tell me there is no hope and that she needs to be put down but I've probably got my hopes up and will end up being crushed tomorrow anyway. I hate to see her suffer and I know she cannot be happy the way she is right now. I just wish there were more I could do.

2 comments:

Beth said...

I think we'd all rather be knitting socks right now wouldn't we? Independently wealthy, not a care in the world.... a girl can dream, right?

KnittyNancy said...

The Yarn Harlot books are amazingly funny. A real laugh out loud read! I also drove my husband crazy when I read her books.
Hope that your dove is doing well.