Saturday, May 17, 2008

Another Saturn story...

But not as fun as the last one...
In March, after Cincinnati's so-called Blizzard, Steve headed off to work.
I had called in to work as I had pulled my lower back the day before and had a made a doctor's appointment to find out if I would ever be able to move again. I couldn't sleep, I couldn't get comfortable, etc. I was not a very happy person at this point. And the phone rings. It was Steve telling me he felt sick. I thought, if he's sick, he should come home and go to bed. He doesn't need to ask my permission or anything!
Nope. Not that kind of sick. He had 'tore out the entire side of the Vue.'

It turns out, they had been working at installing parking lot lights and just had the concrete pillars/bases in. Somehow, as Steve was cutting from one aisle to another, he managed to not see one and bounced the car off it. He said he hit pretty hard.
I actually surprised both of us and didn't lose it. What difference would that have made anyway??
He called the insurance company and got all that taken care of during the day. I spent several hours at the doctor, and then went to the pharmacy before I was able to come home. I couldn't wait for him to get home so I could see all this damage.
Finally, he made it home:

Not as bad as I expected!
We took it to the recommended repair place down at the corner. With that weekend's snow, they were scheduling for 2 weeks out! We were concerned about what mechanicals were now open to the elements with the broken 'skin' on the front door. We talked about trying to cover and seal it but then decided we wouldn't be driving it anyway (2 otherSsaturns to choose from after all!). They were concerned as well since the power window motor sits right behind the break. But if we're not going to drive it, why not leave it with them and they's squeeze it in when they could. They figured they'd probably be able to get it done before what they were even scheduling for.
They were right! It was done in just under a week. They had to replace the front door as the frame was bent and the skin of the back door (it cracked also). And the paint, etc.
I think the insurance company only had to pay about $1100 for their part plus the $500 deductible and it's back on the road!
All better now...

No comments: