Sunday, January 6, 2008

Changing plans

The sweater of 2 posts ago has undergone a slight change.
Although both Fleece Artist yarns had the same blue in them, together they just weren't quite doing it for me. And since the one was thinner, I had to knit on smaller needles with 1/3 more stitches, and I was going through it quickly. I was worried about running out of yarn.
Tia came to OH this weekend and I was able to catch up with her for a bit at the yarn store yesterday. She was picking out yarn for Eric's sweater and I looked for a replacement. After trying a number of different colors and yarns, a Cascade 220 blue was chosen. It was similar to the Fleece Artist but came in higher quantities. I was all set to go. Then....
I ended up stumbling over 3 hanks of Malabrigo in a beautiful deep blue-green called Tuareg. It's not really a color in the blue-green Fleece Artist but it definitely 'flows better' (that's Steve's term) so today I frogged the 6" of cable rib I had done on the 2 sleeves with the Fleece Artist. I rewound the old and wound up 2 of the Malabrigo and away I went. I've got the 6" redone. Not sure how much more I'll do on the sleeves (I tend to wear shorter sleeves or I push them up and out of the way) and then I have the bottom of the body followed by the button band.

I haven't worked on the Uptown Boot Socks any more. I really think they're going to get ripped out.
I did finally settle on a needle for Mermaid Socks. I swatched so many times and never liked the way it came out. This time, I just went with it on US1 again and this time it was OK. I cast on Friday night and worked the entire cuff yesterday. This morning I turned the heel. And then tried it on. It goes on, but it's 'snug' shall we say?!?! And so it pulls the patterning out so much that it loses the effect. Do I rip that one too????
Maybe it's just time to do my Jaywalkers out of some purple Lorna's Laces I got from Merlin the Cat Yarns a few months ago....

On a fun, non-knitting note, It was Steve's birthday yesterday (41). We went to the Funny Bone comedy club down at Newport on the Levy. We went once before and had a great time. The emcee/performer was ok. Then it was on to a guy from Cleveland. He had us rolling, especially with the comparisons between the Browns and the Bengals! And then the headliner: Finesse Mitchell. He was on Saturday Night Live from '03-'06, has a book out, and is in the upcoming movie, Mad Money. He was great! Before we knew it, time was up. We go to the early show to avoid the smoking so they can't run over and still be able to get ready for the next round. If you get a chance to see him, do it!

5 comments:

Beth said...

Malabrigo's enough to make a girl go weak in the knees. ;)

KnittyNancy said...

Finesse Mitchell - how fun! Glad that he was great. Happy Birthday to Steve!

Tanya said...

It was so great to see you. I'm going to have to come into town on a day where we can really sit and knit or go to the store in Hamilton. Though, I must stick to my yarn diet. :)

Anonymous said...

here's a comment...

test, test

Laurie (Moo!) said...

Mr. Greenjeans is going to look great in the Malabrigo. The yarn is so wonderful you just want to soak it into your body!

p.s. Your markers are going out tomorrow. :-)adswvjvy