Thursday, December 27, 2007

Trying to catch my breath

I've been a baaaaaaaddddd blogger! It's been weeks!
Regular life and trying to get ready for all our Christmases and time has flown by.

Dad and Susan and her grand-daughter came down from MI a couple of weeks ago. I moved down here seven and a half years ago and this was his first time seeing our place. Had to get it cleaned up and semi-presentable. Turns out the basement hadn't been really cleaned up since the dishwasher fiasco 3+ years ago.

(I was too cheap to pay Sears to install a dishwasher. We were scheduled to be the first delivery of the morning so I pulled the old one out the night before. Disconnected the lines and all. Just needed a new dishwasher to put in it's place and they could haul the old away. We originally had the water turned off but then decided to try plugging the line so we didn't have to head up/down 2 flights of stairs to turn the water on for showers or flushing during the night. I used a tapered, rubber point protector out of my knitting stash and shoved it in the end of the line. I then duct-taped the daylights out of it so it wouldn't blow out. We turned the water on and watched. All was good so we went to bed.

Then it blew.

And ran all night long.

Luckily there is a drain the floor downstairs. We shut the water off and mopped up. Fans helped dry the drywall in the ceiling. We had a mess! But I didn't have to pay Sears the $50 or $60 for a simple dishwasher installation.... Aren't I a smart one?!?!?
Steve's family came up from SC over Thanksgiving 04 and, among other projects, screwed the drywall back up, scraped the old texture off, retaped, and retexturized the whole thing. They also installed some recessed lights and used a bit more of the never-ending 5 gallon pail of yellow paint on the old, ugly paneling. Major improvement!! We just never finished cleaning up. Till this month.)

We even managed to find a bound 9x12 broadloom rug for $119 (Harry's Corner) since it's only painted concrete at this point and then get the Christmas tree put up before they arrived. It was good to see them and spend some time together. One of these years we're going to have to head up their way...

Last weekend we headed to Steve's family in SC. We hit the road after I got off work Friday, got in about 2:30 am Saturday, and returned Sunday. The boys had gone down over the summer but I hadn't been since... I'm not even sure when. Lots of family, close and distant, and some I'm not sure are even technically family. Always more kids around than I can keep track of. Couldn't get everyone together in the living room for the assorted family pictures so we headed out to the front yard. Need to do more visiting there, too. Christmas #2 done.

Monday was a shopping day for me. I don't do malls or crowds well. I also don't appreciate folks who ding my car up in the parking lot! Red spots/gouges on my 07 navy blue Ian the Ion. Argh and a Merry Christmas to you, too!

Tuesday = Christmas #3.

Wednesday I was back at work (Steve's off all week)and made some more attempts at shopping in preparation for this weekend. And knitting group was rescheduled from our usual Tuesday to Wednesday. I needed my fix big time and we had a few people make it that had been missing for a while. A good night with good friends.
Brian headed off to his brother's/sisters'/foster mom's for a couple of days. Guess he won't be making it to wrestling practice!
Zack has already 'beaten' both Halo 2 and 3 on the new Xbox 360 they got. Don't his thumbs ever get tired?!?!?

(Today I found another couple of gifts for this weekend and I picked up my order from My GirlFriend's Kitchen - my kind of cooking!! Also made it to the chiropractor in preparation for the hours in the car. Now I am parked in front of the tube and 'puter. Updated my blog list and added logos for a couple of swaps I'm Taking part in. I missed posting about a couple of projects I completed - gotta find the camera and the pics to post. The 'list' for that has been updated also.

Christmas #4: It was looking like we were leaving for IL and my Mom's and sister's after I got off work tomorrow but we're gonna sleep here and then leave early Saturday morning. With another Sunday return.
And I get to work again on Monday, off Tuesday.

I think I've used up my Christmas allotment for a while. I may have to take any future ones off the 'to do' list. What do you think?

2 comments:

~Tonia~ said...

Wow that is one busy Christmas schedule. Sounds like you need to take some time off to recoup.

KnittyNancy said...

It sounds like our SnB was so fun. I am sorry that I missed it and can't be there until 1/8. You have such a big family! How fun! Hope that all the Christmases were wonderful. Happy New Year!