Sunday, November 25, 2007

Fallen off the earth?

Not really. Much as I might want to.
(let me apologize in advance for my venting...)

Steve had to go to Toronto last week for work. He left at lunchtime Sunday with a probable return of sometime Saturday. And, yes, he had to work Thanksgiving.
He was up there last month for the Canadian Thanksgiving and had to rework his schedule so they could have the day off. Now that the shoe was on the other foot, he was still the one that had to rework his schedule. They were ging to work all week, even if it was for an American company that would be closed for a holiday. And then, to top it all off, not all the machinery was there so there were delays getting it in and running. And some never did get going. He was not able to do what he was there to do. He came home Friday evening but will have to go back this week.

Brian went to his foster mom's and brother's on Thursday. Another sister is also living there now. And they chat with a couple other sibs that are in the area and occassionally visit, too. It's good for him to keep up with family. He came back saying he has a cousin (unknown name) that plays on the Miami Dolphins. Hmmm.... maybe there is really something to this whole football thing?!?!?

Friday was just me and Zack. He's always reading and had been complaining that he was out of Star Wars books. Half Price Books was supposed to be giving away gift cards and tote bags to the first 100 customers, beginning at 7 a.m. By the time I got Zack up and out the door, we got there about 8:30. I could not imagine a used book store as being a popular destination first thing on Black Friday but apparently it was. Zack got all the Star Wars books they had that he hadn't read yet. 4 of them. He's going to have to supplement with full price books at Barnes & Noble and Borders and such.

I want the boys to switch bedrooms and beds. Kind of. Brian's room has a much larger closet than Zack's but he hides stuff that he should not even have. Zack is like his mother, a pack-rat, and does not have a large enough closet to properly put things away. I wanted to get them switched this weekend. No cooperation/help from the rest of the folks here so it still isn't done.
Zack currently has a futon/bunk but only sleeps on one side of the bottom. It takes up way too much space in his mess of a room. Brian had a loft bed (still in the garage) that he would not climb up in either, especially once he broke his leg. Brian has his brother and friends over occassionally. He could use the futon/bunk right where it is once they switch rooms. That means Zack needs a bed for the other room (Brian's mattress is currently on the floor, awaiting a frame). Zack and I went from Half Price to Furniture Fair (they had a sale going, too) but he did not like anything. Figures. He's fighting this whole thing as much as he can.
Just like he's not getting his father's stuff out of the bathroom and put away - it's been seven months!!

(I wanted to get some of the basement cleaned out and rearranged, too. Nope, didn't get that done either.)

I really don't like crowds and malls and all that so we headed from the furniture store to the grocery store. Not too many people at the grocery store the day after Thanksgiving! $232 (after $158 in store and coupon savings) later and I still had a list going of what we needed. Boys!!

I did do some knitting later on. I just have to weave ends and I will have.....
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
another pair of socks.
These took some reknitting (almost half a sock worth) but I like the finished product better. Gotta get some pics.
And when I get those pics, I'll also have to get some of what Steve brought back from Romni Wool (LYS in Toronto that he found). He picked out yarn all on his own!! He said the place was absolutely huge. Their site says 6000 square feet. Can I go, too????
He even remembered that the Harlot is up there and thought about trying to find her... She probably appreciates that he didn't!

As I expected, UConn lost to West Virgina. I just did not expect it to be as bloody as it was. 21-66. Ouch! But we finished #2 in the Big East behind WV. And we are headed to either the Gator Bowl or the Sun Bowl. (Unlike NE that's staying home this year.)

Did manage to get some laundry done and some bills/paperwork somewhat caught up. Only after I had a complete meltdown. Steve works and then sits in the recliner 'cuz he works and makes the money.' Well, I work, too. And I have basically all the responsibility for everything around the house, too. How is that fair?
And I've asked for help.
And I've screamed for help.
And I've cried for help.

And I get ignored.

I ask the boys to do something,

and they walk away and ignore me.
Steve says we'll have to talk about it another time.

Later, noone remembers me even saying anything. Unless, of course, I had a screaming fit. Then I'm just a witch (with a capital B).
Either way, it's not working.

I must come up with a plan....

4 comments:

Beth said...

We'll have to brainstorm on Tuesday evening. Bring some of that new yarn!

Neila said...

The asking-for-help thing sounds all to familiar! When you have it figured out, let me know!

~Tonia~ said...

How frustraiting.

I say quit doing things for them. Let them do their own laundry, fix their own dinner, etc. Then when they ask what is up tell them that you will start doing things again when they start helping you.

KnittyNancy said...

I agree with Beth. We'll brainstorm on Tuesday. Can't wait to see the new yarn.