Saturday, October 27, 2007

Flash Backs

I keep meaning to post these pics and end up getting sidetracked.

In April, I had to head back to CT with Zack for his father's funeral. I decided to go across the Tappan Zee Bridge just 'cuz I always liked that bridge (as much as someone who is afraid of heights and water can, anyway!). It curves twice, rises in the center, and crosses a wide part of the river. Not the most cost effecient way to build a bridge but...
After that, we continue on some highway that does not look familiar but Yahoo Maps and Onstar both tell me to take. We were in north-eastern NJ. Then I see signs for Skyline Drive/Ringwood and Pompton Lakes, each only a few miles off the exit, in opposite directions. I lived in both towns back in the Stone Age. I don't remember as much about where the house in Pompton Lakes was but I'm pretty confident I remember how to get to the one in Ringwood. It was just off Skyline Drive, afterall.
I exited and headed to Skyline Drive. Good, twisty, turny Skyline Drive! I miss that kind of east coast mountain driving. And there is the park Mom took us hiking in. Do we remember Charlie Chaplin hiking??? Peanut butter and jelley and cheese and butter sandwiches? Tom? ;) And towing the Model A up over Skyline Drive with the wood paneled station LTD Station Wagon???
There were new houses along the way but I recognized most of it! We moved out of Ringwood between 6th and 7th grade (1978), I believe.
Edward Drive. That runs parallel to James Drive. James should be the next right.
Yup! Right turn. 3rd house (+/-) on the left, facing the T-intersection with Vanessa. There it is!


It used to be dark brown with an almost sold, bright green front door. There used to be a 'dike' on the left with a garden behind. On the right, at the back end of the driveway, there was a freestanding garage with a 2nd story that was our playhouse. Insulated, heat, lights. Mom could lock us out of the house any time she wanted to. Weather did not matter. The structure back there now is a different one-story shed or something.
All are now gone and apparently there is an inground pool in the backyard. How much dirt had been imported to try to level out the backyard and then it got dug out for the pool? Oh well! Different needs and wants for different families.
It does not show, but the monstrous mailbox structure still survives. Who else has a mailbox as big as a jungle gym, built from the old Kreosote railroad ties?
Zack and I took a quick trip through the original part of the neighborhood while I rambled on about crashing my bike here and riding the snowmobile there and...

Back to the road but I'm on a roll now. Maybe I can find Pompton Lakes, too! It's worth a shot. Afterall, I have Onstar in the new car.
Back over Skyline Drive, past the highway and right into Pompton Lakes. Over the railroad tracks, we're headed the right way. I think we're about there, is this it? I'm not sure but let me try this right. And the next right. We're on Durham! Should be down on the right, #40. And there it is???


Wow, that one changed even more. It used to be a basic little Cape Cod (what I see as war-time tract housing). The attic had been finished before Mom bought it and she used that as her room. Now it is 2 full stories with the attic above that! Bay windows, front 'stoop' with an overhang, and vinyl siding, too. I assume the inground pool is still in the backyard. Actually it WAS the backyard. Probably tough to change that unless they brought in all the dirt from the Ringwood pool...
I told a few more stories about my childhood (and Sandy and Tom - sorry Tom!) and then we headed back to the highway...
On to Connecticut and the business at hand.

1 comment:

~Tonia~ said...

That is so neat that you got to see the homes you remember as a kid. It is nice to see that they are still standing and haven't been tore down for "progress".