Wednesday, September 26, 2007

bits and pieces

Beth knit a bit on 'wavy' last night at SnB. She finished the toe of her Galaxy sock and needed something to do. And I've been working on it in the car and wherever. I think it's over a foot and a half now. And Brian is bugging me about getting started on his version. It's a catchy little pattern! And I still can't get over the yarn. $2.49 for 355 yards of a true worsted weight (not skimpy), nicely spun, soft, washable synthetic.

I should be working on bills, etc but I'm finding any excuse I can not to. It's been how long?!?!? Not good.

Brian went to therapy and for a doctor's check today. He's out of his air cast, has been cleared to start back to limited football practice this week (no contact) and regular practice next week. They have a game tomorrow so he won't play in that and Friday they'll watch the films of tomorrow's game. Couple of days next week and then the 8th grade heads to Washington DC, I think on Wednesday, to return Saturday morning. For Brian, the extra time might be a good thing before the next injury!

Zack turned 17 last week. Yikes!!

Angel is about the same as she's been. She still does not fly and sometimes stumbles. She stays on the bottom of the cage with the extra food and water bowls. Not much room down there. I'd like to get a larger cage but the 'larger' ones aren't really much bigger and they cost $75+. And they are less cleanable and don't contain the mess as much as the one I have now. Worth it? Don't think so. Then there is one like a parrot cage but the bars are closer for smaller birds. It would be really cool but it's 'new lower price' is still $350. Ouch! Someday I'd like a larger bird and this could serve double duty... hmmmm...maybe I should consider it anyway.
I do like being able to take Angel out and hold her. And I think there is a part of her that appreciates being brushed. Yes, I said brushed. This wacky lady brushes her bird. I use an old soft toothbrush to try to groom her since she's still not able to do most of her body. Sometimes we go out on the deck in the sunshine and just enjoy the outdoors for a while. Bonding time.

Work, well, that's a 4-letter word so we'll skip that topic for now.

Weather: can you believe it?!?!?
'Liquid sunshine' my mother used to call it. It basically has not rained all summer. We're something like 13+ inches below average. Everything is brown and crispy. The farmers have started harvesting their (pop)corn and other crops since they're dying in the fields.I don't recall anything like it (but I've only been down here for 7 years now). The trees are all shedding their leaves and they didn't even turn pretty fall colors. They just shriveled and fell. Now, to get the temps down a bit. Didn't mother nature get the memo - IT"S FALL!

4 comments:

Beth said...

It was all I could do to stay inside instead of going out and dance in the showers we had this afternoon. :)

~Tonia~ said...

I was so happy to see the rain. I even let James go out and play in the puddles while we were getting the lighter rains.

We were in the house and I heard an odd noise. I went to the window to see what it was and it was raining. LOL

KnittyNancy said...

It was great to finally have a good rain. Things actually look a little greener. Sorry that I had to miss SnB.

Valerie said...

Happy B-Day To Zack and Congrats To Your Football player for being out of the cast.