Sunday, September 23, 2007

What I learned at Kings Island

Been thinking about posting this all week. Would it be right? Oh well, I guess it's time to finally go for it...
For those not familiar with the area, we have an amusement park just a couple of miles from the house. The boys pass it on their way to and from school each day and can hear the coasters and their riders when outside for gym, sports, etc. It was owned by Paramount but was sold to Cedar Fair last year. We are waiting for the name to change but so far, it is still known as Paramount's Kings Island. It is where Evil Knevil (how do you spell that?)jumped the buses way back when, Grissom from CSI counts The Beast as one of his favorite coasters, and the Brady Bunch visited during their run on tv.
Anyway, they have an old style wooden coaster called the Racer. 2 symmetrical tracks to each carry a car at the same time. 1 runs forward and 1 backwards. They 'race' to the finish (hence, the name). We usually ride the forward facing one. Either the line for backward is too long or one of the boys does not want to ride backwards. I don't remember ever riding backwards. Last weekend, the lines were short so I picked the backwards for a change.
Now, while riding the forward cars, speed, inertia, etc keeps 'the girls' pressed in place. Not a problem. Backward does not work as well. It leaves them out there hanging on for dear life, flapping in the wind and bouncing over every bump.
So, girls, if you have any curves, hold them down or stick with the forward cars!

3 comments:

Angela said...

Oh my. I rode the racer backwards once. Once. NEVER again. I absolutely hated it. Not just disliked it, but HATED it.

Now, I have a good excuse not to ride it backwards!

~Tonia~ said...

Not a roler coster girl so I am safe there. I just watch all the others.

It has been forever sice I have been there.

I would really like to take James, but I don't think that he would ride the kiddy rides alone and there just isn't many family rides to justify the cost.

KnittyNancy said...

I wouldn't like it forward or backwards. Thanks for the handy tip.